Friday, November 4, 2016

More Family and Records in Fargo

Hi Bill

Today I decided to write about another trip to Fargo, ND. You probably have heard us talk many times about Fargo/Moorhead, where both Rayna and Zeb went to college. Rayna eventually returned to South Dakota, but Zeb is still living in Fargo and has no plans to return to South Dakota, except for family visits.

Anyway, Pat, Rayna and I were in Fargo again this past weekend. Yes, we had been in Fargo about a month ago to spend some time with Zeb, our talented and beloved son. Nevertheless, we made the three-and-a-half-hour drive north on I-29 again on Friday, October 28th. We arrived in Fargo at about 5:30pm and we hung around our room at the Holiday Inn Express until Zeb finished work. Then we met him at a nearby Culvers for a meal. After we finished eating, we hung out at the Barnes & Noble where some vinyl fell into our hands (amazing how that happens). However, Pat and I were very tired and we went to our hotel room to relax for the evening, while Rayna went to Zeb’s apartment for the night.

Fargo Record Fair

Saturday morning Pat and I had a nice breakfast in the hotel and then Zeb and Rayna picked me up and took me to the Fargo Record Fair, which is a major attraction for vinyl music addicts. Pat did not accompany us to the fair. She does not suffer from our vinyl addiction, but has her own cross-stitch monkey to obey. Anyway, Rayna, Zeb and I were eager to attend the annual Fargo Record Fair, which has been connecting vinyl music lovers with wonderful albums each fall for about five years. The large Air Museum hangar at the Fargo Airport has been the venue for the Record Fair since it began. I had attended a previous Fargo Record Fair last year, but I was not well-prepared with a desiderata list or enough money at that one. However, I was well prepared at this one and it was a very enjoyable experience.

There was a $3 entrance fee that we were happy to pay to enter the large hangar jammed with tables holding thousands of vinyl music albums. Of course, there were knowledgeable and friendly vinyl collectors at the tables to help us vinyl enthusiasts find the albums we were looking for and to answer our questions or just converse about music with us. We all had a great time at the record fair among our similarly-addicted vinyl geeks. Rayna, Zeb and I went our separate ways among the vinyl treasures, but when we saw albums that we knew the others would like we let them know where they could be found. It was lots of fun to flip through all kinds of music albums and to talk with strangers about their favorite music, their collections and their treasured album finds. It was a very pleasurable and friendly event, where total strangers would converse about their favorite music and musicians. Rayna and I were also happy to meet Jim, one of Zeb’s good friends. He joined us at the fair and he even helped us find some albums that we were seeking. Zeb also encountered several other people that he knew at the event.

My Vinyl Spoils

James Brown – Live At the Apollo Vol. II: I had been looking for this two-album gem for a long time but could not find it in good enough condition for a price that I was willing to pay. However, I succeeded at the music fair.

James Brown Live At The Apollo Vol II 


The Rolling Stones – 12 X 5: Somehow I had never acquired this second album by the Stones, but I always wanted it.

Prince and the Revolution – Purple Rain: I have needed this one for many years. 

U2 – The Joshua Tree: Another one I have needed for many years.

Sarah Vaughn – After Hours: I can’t have too many Sarah Vaughan albums.

U2 - Joshua Tree 


Marianne Faithfull – Dangerous Acquaintances and A Childs Adventure: I have this THING about Marianne Faithfull and need to acquire all of her recordings.

Dusty Springfield – A Brand New Me: I just like Dusty Springfield (although Pat does not like her).

George Harrison – Thirty Three & 1/3: I must also acquire all of George Harrison’s albums.

Martha Reeves & The Vandellas: Sometimes I need to revisit my teenage years.

Sarah Vaughan - After Hours


The Chiffons – Sweet Talking’ Guy: Another visit with my teenage years.

I would have purchased many other albums, but I had spent enough on these 11 albums. It was interesting that both Zeb and Rayna also ended their vinyl quests with 11 albums. I should also note that Pat bought vinyl record album tote bags, which made it much easier to lug our spoils through the fair and keep them safe. Many people complemented us about those tote bags and asked where we purchased them (Barnes & Noble).



Family Time

After the fair we met Pat at Zeb’s apartment and Zeb and I walked to Erbert’s & Gerbert’s to pick up some sandwiches for a late lunch. We sat in Zeb’s apartment talking and eating for a while. Then Pat and I went back to the hotel to relax while Rayna and Zeb went to take some photos for Rayna’s blog. Later we met at Zeb’s apartment again and Zeb and I walked to a downtown pizza shop for takeout. Then we hung out in his apartment for a few hours of conversation, before Pat and I returned to our hotel for the night. Pat and I had a light breakfast Sunday morning at the hotel and then we met Rayna and Zeb at Perkins for our traditional visit-ending brunch before we made the drive back to South Dakota.

It was another very pleasing family visit and I now have even more vinyl to enjoy. I am so lucky to have a family that tolerates my strange and persistent behaviors, attitudes and pastimes. I am also lucky to have a family that actually likes to spend time with each other, although we wouldn’t want to get together on a daily basis. You probably know how that works.

Anyway, I hope you and your family are happy and healthy. Please let them all know that we often think about them and send good thoughts their way.

Take care.

Sincerely

Clark 

No comments:

Post a Comment